Packing School Lunches (Back to School Day 4)
Back to school means having a healthy breakfast, packing lunches, healthy snacks and bed time routines. As parents, we need to have the food readily accessible to make the morning chaos go smoother. If your like every parent out there, you probably struggle with what to pack for lunches. What are your strategies for packing a healthy lunch and not rushing to do it in the morning?
Take a listen to my video to learn some tips on packing school lunches:
I have a formula for my kids’ lunches: 1 protein or main course with protein (like a turkey sandwich), 1 piece of fruit or veggies, 1 snacky thing (like pretzels), one sweet thing (like gummy fruit snacks.) How about this? If the healthy stuff comes back uneaten, the sweet thing goes away for a few days. These are some options to work around the kids making sure they are having a balanced lunch.
- Yogurt with granola
- Lunch meat
- Tuna salad
- Peanut butter & jelly sandwich on Ezekiel bread
- Tri-color pasta salad with veggies
- Fruit salad with granola
- Hard boiled egg with veggies
- Crackers and cheese
- Fruit with nut butter
- Veggies with hummus
- Granola bars (just read ingredients)
- Egg cups…recipe below!
Great meal prep item to eat on the go and can be warm or cold.
Southwestern Egg Cups
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 16 large egg whites (2 cups)
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 12 medium jalapeños, seeds and veins removed, chopped
- 1½ cups black beans, drained, rinsed
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese (about ¾ cup)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare twelve muffin cups by coating with spray. Set aside.
- Combine almond milk and egg whites in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired; whisk to blend. Set aside.
- Evenly divide jalapenos, beans, and cheese between prepared muffin cups.
- Evenly pour egg mixture over broccoli mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of egg cups comes out clean, and eggs are set.
For more recipes, check out my Healthy Recipes page, and be sure to subscribe to my weekly recipes email list! http://www.krisdellofitness.com/recipes/
Click below to learn more about my exclusive VIP program. I will work closely with you to help you achieve your fitness and nutrition goals and guide you step-by-step.